Component upgrades
Hi there

I have a bit of a potato computer that I'm looking to upgrade over time. About all I play is World of Warships and World of Tanks, so I don't need anything spectacular. Current specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM
 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55-UD3R (Socket 1156)  

Graphics
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (ATI AIB)

Storage
 931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)   

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO SSD from you a few days ago and will install that. I'm happy enough with the CPU for now but obviously the graphics card and memory need upgrading.  I was thinking of the MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB Gaming X graphics card.

Do you have any suggestions for memory? Maybe 8GB is all I need for now?
If I were to keep the current CPU, do you have a motherboard suggestion?

Cheers
Hello!

Your system is quite dated! Intel tells us that CPU was released Q3 of 2009, so it's coming up to being 10 years old. I'm sure it's served you well.

In regards to upgrading a PC more than a few years old, usually the best you can do is upgrade the storage device (which you're about to do with the SSD install, provided you install Windows 10 fresh on that and make it the default bootable device, should give you quite a speed boost), up the amount of RAM you have to 8GB if you could find a matching kit to install along side your current RAM, and upgrade the graphics card as you've said.

Upgrading your motherboard is probably a fairly redundant and painful task. Motherboards typically don't contribute to gaming performance or speed increases, they just enable other components to connect to the motherboard, so as long as you are able to connect all the components you want, you shouldn't need a new motherboard. So we wouldn't suggest a motherboard change if you were to keep the CPU you have now.

What we might suggest is, upgrade your RAM to 8GB, go through with the SSD and Windows install on that, see if that can tide you over. If you feel like it's still not quite getting there, an upgrade to the GTX 1050TI would be the last upgrade we would suggest given the hardware you have.

Once you feel you can't cope with the system any more, then we'd suggest an entire new system.

New systems all run on DDR4 RAM now, so you wouldn't be able to use your current RAM with the new system.
New motherboard would be required to suit the new CPUs and DDR4 RAM.
A new power supply would be highly recommended so you can still use the old system if you want to, and because a power supply that old would likely be prone to failure soon.
You could keep using the GTX 1050TI from the old system if you did end up buying that.

Just this week we had a customer bring in an old (but not as old as yours) system with an SSD, 4GB RAM (but only 3.5GB usable due to him installing 32bit Windows 10) and we essentially told him the same thing. He can up the RAM and get 64bit Windows 10 installed to take full advantage of it, and upgrade the GPU, but apart from that, we would recommend waiting it out until he really felt the need to upgrade.

Once you do bite the bullet and do a full upgrade, you won't regret it!

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Hi Ryan

Thanks very much for the swift reply.  You're right, the computer has served me pretty well all things considered, but is definitely due for a replacement. I'll look you guys up next year when it's time!

In the meantime, I've installed the SSD and done a fresh install of Windows 10 as you suggested. It's made a huge difference to pretty much everything I do on the computer. Wish I'd done it earlier! Blush

The power supply I have is only 12 months old (as you said, the old one didn't last!) so I think I'm OK there. I was looking for some DDR3 on your site - you don't seem to stock any? Is it that old??  The stuff I have is 4GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24). Apart from the fact the whole '666' thing is vaguely disturbing, I think it's about time I got 8GB. I can't see anything similar anywhere. Do you know of anything that would suit (2x4GB)?

Sounds like once I've done the RAM (and maybe GPU) I should be right for a while. Thanks for your help so far - much appreciated!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTX1070 sisyphyus 1 994 02/06/2016, 04:15 pm
Last Post: Ryan
  Does USB 3.1 Matter [Yet]? Thomas 0 1,080 12/07/2015, 03:54 pm
Last Post: Thomas
  ZowieGear Mice, New this week at Evatech Australia Thomas 0 1,197 13/05/2015, 05:21 pm
Last Post: Thomas